Get Into Teaching
Do you have broad knowledge across a subject area or are you a recent graduate looking to pursue teaching as a career?
Do you have the drive and enthusiasm to ensure our students receive the best possible learning experience?
Or are looking for an additional role that will complement and be worked alongside your existing career?
If yes, Wakefield College is keen to hear from you.
We look for the highest quality candidates to teach our students, but you don’t need to hold a teaching qualification to get into teaching at Wakefield College. As a minimum, candidates must hold:
- Level 2 qualification or above in both English and Mathematics.
- A level 3 qualification in a vocational subject area, or a higher level specialist qualification depending on your chosen field of teaching.
- A broad range of experience gained from within a vocational area.
Teacher Development Programme
Wakefield College supports all new teaching staff, with or without prior teaching experience, through our internal teacher development programme “The Programme of Excellence”.
Our teacher development programme is designed and delivered in a way that will ensure you obtain all the skills that are needed to become a teacher. Prior existing knowledge, experience and key competencies will be taken into account during the programme.
In addition to providing theoretical and best practice knowledge, you will be assigned a mentor from our high performance teaching team to support you through your early career with us.
The Wakefield College teacher development programme has four key stages to be completed within the first 12 months of employment and will commence during your first week.
The initial stage of the programme will focus on development support including lesson outcomes, SMART targets and behaviour management. As the programme moves on you will receive guidance on your performance. Your teaching will be observed and you will have meetings with your assigned mentor.
How to Apply
There are numerous ways in which you can express your interest in becoming a teacher at Wakefield College.
- If you have seen a specific vacancy that you would like to apply for, you can apply online by following the links on our website.
- You can register your interest for future vacancies by uploading your CV to our Talent Pool.
- You can come along to one of our scheduled recruitment events.