This privacy notice sets out how Heart of Yorkshire Education Group (the “College”) uses and protects the personal information of its Governors.
Notice about how we use your personal information
We are the data controller of personal information about you. We are the College. Our address is: Wakefield City Campus, Margaret Street, Wakefield WF1 2DH. Our Data Protection Officer is Sam Cremore. If you have any questions about this policy or the ways in which we use your personal information, please contact our Data Protection Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This privacy notice has been prepared in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (“GDPR”) and the Data Protection Act 2018.
This notice sets out how we use your personal information during your time as a Governor of the College and in particular:
- the information that you give us;
- the uses made of your personal information;
- the legal basis on which we collect and use your personal information;
- how long we keep your personal information;
- how we share your personal information;
- how we transfer your personal information outside of Europe; and
- your rights over your personal information.
The information that you give us
We will collect personal information from you when you apply for the role of Governor. This will include your: full name; previous name(s); address; phone numbers; email address; date of birth; marital status; current and past employment details including employer name, job title, start and end dates, reason for leaving and responsibilities; education and professional development details; qualifications; National Insurance Number; whether you are related to any personnel or students of the College or Governing Body; references; special arrangement details for interview; criminal record details; details of any disciplinary proceedings; disqualifications; and equality and diversity information.
The following additional personal data may be collected during your term of office as a Governor: details of self-employment; directorships; shareholdings and partnerships; elected offices; trusteeships; public appointments; membership of professional bodies; relationships with college stakeholders and suppliers; details of related parties, i.e. family members; details of skills and expertise; records of board and committee meeting attendance; appraisal and performance information, photographs; reasonable adjustments/access requirements; dietary requirements; details of any change of address; Disclosure Barring Service check details; bank details including bank account number and sort code and date of birth.
The uses made of your personal information
We will use your personal information set out above as follows:
- For recruitment to the post of Governor (including carrying out disqualification checks).
- For the safeguarding of students.
- To contact you in connection with board and committee business.
- To conduct appraisals and performance monitoring.
- For inclusion in the minutes of the board and committees.
- For inclusion in the College’s annual report and financial statement and other board and committee papers.
- To maintain a register of interests.
- To produce identification badges.
- For use in promotional materials.
- To inform reports and returns required by funding agencies, government departments and public bodies.
- To comply with the terms and conditions of the College’s service providers.
- To provide information to banks.
- To monitor and promote equality and diversity.
- For inclusion in the College’s publication scheme (as required by the Freedom of Information Act 2000).
- For approval and ratification of funding bids to UK funding bodies.
- To confirm accommodation, dietary and access requirements for events.
- To book training events.
- To add you to any relevant mailing lists.
The legal basis on which we collect and use your personal information
We collect and use some of your personal information on the basis that it is necessary for performing our agreement with you, or it is necessary to take steps before entering into the agreement with you. We also collect and use some of your personal information on the basis that we need to do so in order to comply with our legal obligations.
Where we collect special category personal information (e.g., relating to equality and diversity) we will process it because there is a substantial public interest for us to do so. If the information relates to criminal records, we will processes it in relation to our employment obligations.
How long we keep your personal information
We will not keep your personal information for longer than we need it for the purposes we have explained above.
When you apply for a Governor role with us, but your application is unsuccessful, we will keep your personal information for six months after the application process concludes.
When you are a Governor, we will keep your personal information for as long as you are in post and then, after you leave, we will keep most of your personal information for six years after the end of your term of office. For full details on how long we retain Governor records, see our retention schedule Document Retention Schedule.
How we share your personal information
We may share the personal information that you give us with the following people, organisations (or types of organisation) for the following purposes.
Organisation / type of organisation: Government bodies and departments responsible for public funding and regulatory matters
Purpose: To comply with the requirements of bodies responsible for the provision of public funding and compliance with regulatory matters.
Organisation / type of organisation: Banks and insurers
Purpose: To comply with the contractual requirements of the College’s banks and insurers.
Organisation / type of organisation: Hotels and venues
Purpose: For bookings including liaising regarding car parking, dietary requirements, reasonable adjustment and access requirements and other similar matters.
Organisation / type of organisation: The public domain via the college’s website, publicly available reports such as the annual report and financial statements and other Wakefield College publications.
Purpose: In order to comply with regulatory requirements of transparency.
Organisation / type of organisation: Training providers
Purpose: For the provision of training.
How we transfer your personal information outside of Europe
We do not store or transfer your personal data outside of Europe.
Your rights over your personal information
You have a number of rights over your personal information, which are:
- the right to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office (“ICO”) if you are unhappy about the way your personal data is being used – please refer to the ICO’s website for further information about this (https://ico.org.uk/);
- the right to ask us what personal information about you we are holding and to have access to a copy of your personal information;
- the right to ask us to correct any errors in your personal information;
- the right, in certain circumstances such as where our use of your personal information is based on your consent and we have no other legal basis to use your personal information, to ask us to delete your personal information;
- the right, in certain circumstances such as where we no longer need your personal information, to request that we restrict the use that we are making of your personal information;
- the right, in certain circumstances, to ask us to review and explain our legitimate interests to you; and
- the right, where our use of your personal information is carried out for the purposes of an agreement with us and is carried out by automated means, to ask us to provide you with a copy of your personal information in a structured, commonly used, machine readable format.
- Privacy Notice
- Privacy Notice - Wakefield College Students
- Privacy Notice - Wakefield College Staff
- Privacy Notice - Wakefield College Governors
- Privacy Notice - Children’s University
- Privacy Notice - Events - Sale and Return of Tickets
- Privacy Notice – Email Marketing
- Privacy Notice - COVID-19 - Supplementary
- Privacy Notice - COVID-19 - Testing Privacy Statement