This privacy notice sets out how Wakefield College uses and protects the personal information of its staff.
Notice about how we use your personal information
We are the data controller of personal information about you. We are Wakefield College. Our address is: Wakefield City Campus, Margaret Street, Wakefield WF1 2DH. Our Data Protection Officer is Sam Cremore. If you have any questions about this policy or the ways in which we use your personal information, please contact our Data Protection Officer at email@example.com.
This privacy notice has been prepared in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (‘GDPR’) and the Data Protection Act 2018.
This notice sets out how we use your personal information as your employer or when you apply for a job with us and in particular:
- the information that you give us;
- the uses made of your personal information;
- the legal basis on which we collect and use your personal information;
- how long we keep your personal information;
- how we share your personal information;
- how we transfer your personal information outside of Europe; and
- your rights over your personal information.
We will collect personal information from you when you apply for a job with us. This will include your: name; previous name(s); address; phone number; email; age range; marital status; gender; sexual orientation; religion or belief; ethnic origin; disability; current employment details including job title, start and end dates, current salary, notice period, reason for leaving; all past employment details; education details; whether you are related to any personnel of the College or Governing Body; references; special arrangement details for interview; criminal record details.
We will collect personal information from you (and may create new personal information about you) when you are a new starter and become an employee of the College and during the course of your employment. This will be your: title; name; marital status; previous surname(s); address; date of birth; employee number; occupation/department; type of employment; phone number; email addresses; NI number; start date; next of kin and contact details; bank details; pension details; tax details; statement about employment; student loan details; offer letters; employment terms and conditions; changes to your terms and conditions; certifications/qualifications, disciplinary, grievance, capability, job descriptions, sickness absences, maternity/paternity/adoption information; accidents and injuries at work; working time information; annual leave records; recruitment information; photo; payroll details; gender; flexible working; exit interviews; return to work notifications; parental leave request forms; appraisal/performance; bank account number; sort code; disqualification information; sickness absences; medical information; Disclosure Barring Service check, including European Economic Area (EEA) check; Prohibition from Teaching check; Check of Barred List/List 99; Pre‑employment Health Questionnaire/Medical Report.
We will use your personal information set out above as follows:
- for the recruitment process and for carrying out pre employment checks;
- for safeguarding students;
- for checking your identity and right to work in UK;
- for checking your qualifications;
- to keep an audit trail of the checks we have made and our relationship with you in case of employment claims;
- to set up payroll and pension and to reimburse expenses;
- for dealing with HMRC;
- for communicating with you, including for marketing purposes;
- for carrying out our role as your employer or potential employer.
We treat your personal information with confidentiality and we do not use it for any other purposes.
We collect and use some of your personal information on the basis that it is necessary for performing our employment contract with you, or it is necessary to take steps before entering into the contract with you. It may also be necessary to process your personal data in relation to other contractual obligations between us, e.g. salary sacrifice agreements. We also collect and use some of your personal information on the basis that we need to do so in order to comply with our legal obligations.
Where we collect your special category personal information, we do this on the basis that it is necessary for the purposes of carrying out our obligations in the field of employment law. Special categories of personal data are personal data that reveal a person’s racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religions or philosophical beliefs, trade union membership, genetic data (i.e. information about their inherited or acquired genetic characteristics, information about their physical, physiological or behavioural characteristics (such as facial images and fingerprints), physical or mental health, sexual life or sexual orientation and criminal records).
We will not keep your personal information for longer than we need it for the purposes we have explained above.
When you apply for a job with us, but your application is unsuccessful, we will keep your personal information for six months after the application process concludes.
When you are an employee, we will keep your personal information for as long as you work with us and then after you leave, we will keep most of your personal information for six years after the end of your employment. For full details on how long we retain personal employment records, see our retention schedule Document Retention Schedule [May 2018].
We may share the personal information that you give us with the following organisations (or types of organisation) for the following purposes.
Organisation / type of organisation: HMRC
Purpose: Payment and processing of applicable taxes.
Organisation / type of organisation: West Yorkshire Pension Fund and Teacher’s Pensions
Purpose: Provision of Local Government and Teacher’s Pension Schemes.
We may also share your personal information with third parties who provide services to the College.
Organisation / type of organisation: Occupational health services
Service: For the provision of occupational health support and assessments.
Organisation / type of organisation: Remploy/Access to Work
Service: For the provision and support of employment services for disabled people.
Organisation / type of organisation: AVC Wise Limited
Service: For the provision of services relating to a salary sacrifice additional voluntary contributions scheme.
Organisation / type of organisation: Prudential
Service: For the provision of a salary sacrifice additional voluntary contributions scheme.
We do not store or transfer your personal data outside of Europe.
You have a number of rights over your personal information, which are:
- the right to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) if you are unhappy about the way your personal data is being used – please refer to the ICO’s website for further information about this (https://ico.org.uk/);
- the right to ask us what personal information about you we are holding and to have access to a copy of your personal information;
- the right to ask us to correct any errors in your personal information;
- the right, in certain circumstances such as where our use of your personal information is based on your consent and we have no other legal basis to use your personal information, to ask us to delete your personal information;
- the right, in certain circumstances such as where we no longer need your personal information, to request that we restrict the use that we are making of your personal information;
- the right, in certain circumstances, to ask us to review and explain our legitimate interests to you; and
- the right, where our use of your personal information is carried out for the purposes of an agreement with us and is carried out by automated means, to ask us to provide you with a copy of your personal information in a structured, commonly used, machine readable format.
- Privacy Notice
- Privacy Notice - Wakefield College Students
- Privacy Notice - Wakefield College Staff
- Privacy Notice - Wakefield College Governors
- Privacy Notice - Children’s University
- Privacy Notice - Events - Sale and Return of Tickets
- Privacy Notice – Email Marketing
- Privacy Notice - COVID-19 - Supplementary
- Privacy Notice - COVID-19 - Testing Privacy Statement