The Mentoring for Excellence Programme is for students who have been identified as high achieving and have the potential to progress to a top university - be part of it!
You must be between the ages of 16 and 18 and have a predicted A*/A profile at GCSE on your College application (this will be checked on enrolment by actual achievement).
Benefits for Mentees
- Opportunity to improve skills, raise aspirations and develop high levels of performance
- Access to a dedicated and skilled person who can offer encouragement and inspiration
- One-to-one support
- Stimulate ideas
- Improve motivation, persistence and application
- Improve communication skills, self-esteem and confidence
- Develop skills of reflection, target setting and action planning
- Raise awareness of options available in higher education
Mentoring sessions - what do they include?
Your mentoring meetings should have an individual and personalised approach and can therefore include a wide range of activities and discussions, such as:
- Exploring and reinforcing the benefits of exceeding target grades
- Raising aspirations, for example regarding progression into top universities
- Tracking progress
- Identifying any issues blocking progress
- Providing encouragement and support, for example to improve attitudes to work
- Providing inspiration and challenge, for example through positive role models
- Developing employability skills including interview and presentation skills
- Providing the experience necessary to ease the transition from College into higher education
The Mentoring for Excellence Programme is a fantastic opportunity which many of our students have already benefitted from; don’t let it pass you by, take advantage of the chance to maximise your potential.
Get in Touch
To find out more contact Richard Collings, Head of A levels.
Information for Prospective Students
- Why Wakefield College
- Information for Parents
- Term Dates
- Student Successes
- Student Policies & Procedures
- How to Apply