Wakefield College - Owain Pooley

Case Studies

Owain Pooley

Level 2 Art & Design
I feel like I was greatly influenced by the YSI project because the work we saw was so diverse and abstract which helped broaden my horizon on sculpture as a whole. I’ve always been creative and this project has allowed me to further my thinking, skills and help drive my newly found passion for sculpture.
Photo of
What Owain had to say...

Owain progressed from the Level 2 Art and Design Course onto the Level 3 course at Wakefield College and has now firmly set his sights on a career as sculptor thanks to his involvement in a unique joint project between Wakefield College and Yorkshire Sculpture International (YSI).

YSI is a unique collaboration between four of Yorkshire’s leading art institutions – the Henry Moore Institute, Leeds Art Gallery, The Hepworth Wakefield and Yorkshire Sculpture Park. The galleries work together to promote sculpture in the region. Celebrating the rich history of Yorkshire as the birthplace of pioneering sculptors, including Barbara Hepworth, Henry Moore and Damien Hirst.

Owain attended lectures, workshops and visited a number of galleries including the Henry Moore Institute, Leeds City Art Gallery and Yorkshire Sculpture Park. Owain was able to use the knowledge and skills gained on the project to experiment with a range of media, processes and techniques in class to produce several models before making his final sculpture. 

Commenting on his involvement with the project, Owain said: ”I feel like I was greatly influenced by the YSI project because the work we saw was so diverse and abstract which helped broaden my horizon on sculpture as a whole.  I’ve always been creative and this project has allowed me to further my thinking, skills and help drive my newly found passion for sculpture.”

About Owain

Owain studied the Level 2 Art & Design Course and progressed onto the Level 3 course.

Studied Here:

2020