Access to Higher Education Diplomas are full Level 3 qualifications recognised by UK universities that act as a stepping stone for students over 19 to progress to university-level study.
Our students can then go on to careers in nursing, social work, teaching and other professional occupations such as those in the arts, music, science, and computer technology.
About the Access to Higher Education (HE) Courses
Access courses allow students to progress to university degrees after one year of study at College. The Access programme provides you with the relevant knowledge and study skills you’ll need if you’ve been out of education and want to successfully complete a degree course.
We offer a wide range of subjects on our Access programmes from art and design to science & engineering. For a full list of what we offer, please see the course listings further down this page.
What’s more, you can also continue to study with us after completing your course, as we offer a range of degrees validated by partner universities, together with foundation degrees, higher apprenticeships, professionally accredited courses, and top-up degrees.
To study on this course, you generally need determination, commitment, and GCSE A* - C grade(s), depending on the Access course you choose. Some courses may have further entry requirements, so please check this before you apply.
- All of our Access to Higher Education courses can be financed through the Government’s Advanced Learner Loan. And if you complete it and progress to undertaking and completing a Student Finance England funded Higher Education course, the balance relating to your Access to Higher Education Diploma will be written off.
- 40,000 people study Access to Higher Education courses every year, and you can join them!
- Over 20,000 Access to Higher Education students go on to apply for university courses each year.
The Access to HE experience
Whether you've only just heard about Access to HE and want to find out more, or are coming to the end of your course and wondering what to do next, the website, ‘Access to Higher Education’ has plenty of information to help.
Access to Higher Education Courses
I can’t fault it. If it wasn’t for this course, teachers and everyone involved, I wouldn’t be going to university - no way! Six months ago I was on a building site but now I’m getting ready to go off to university, and it’s all because of Wakefield College.
Advanced Learner Loans
Aged 19 or over and thinking about further education?
People aged 19 or over who take certain further education courses are eligible for government loans. These loans help pay your college or training organisation for your course fees. For further information, visit our Fees & Money Matters page or you can contact the Financial Support Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 01924 789304. More information can be found on the Advanced Learner Loan website.
Eligible courses offered by Wakefield College include:
- Access to Higher Education Diploma
- Vocational, technical and professional qualifications at levels 3 to 6